First-Time Home Buyer
- Rent vs. Buy Spreadsheet
Enter your information and find out exactly when it's a good idea to take the house-buying leap!
- Lender Comparison Spreadsheet
To help compare apples to apples when choosing a lender
- Self-Directed Home Inspection Checklist
A printable copy of the checklist included in the book
- Multiple checklists that aren't included in the book
To-dos before starting the home-buying process, questions for interviewing agents, everything to do while under contract, and more!
- 30-page ebook by Scott Trench
"Six Steps to Eliminating Debt & Repairing Credit"
- 15-page ebook by Mindy Jensen
"Boost Your Profits When Selling Your Investment Property"
- Free Basic Shipping
- Free Bonus Content
- 30-Day Guarantee
Choose your preferred format
UltimateEverything you need!
- Paperback book
- Ebook version & Audiobook download
ALL free bonus content
PaperbackFor the traditionalist
- Paperback book
ALL free bonus content
EBookFor Kindle and other devices
- Ebook version
ALL free bonus content
AudiobookOnly available in Ultimate Package and offsite
Buy your first house with your eyes wide open and outsmart the world’s most common financial trap! From BiggerPockets CEO Scott Trench and podcast co-host Mindy Jensen, learn how your home purchase can destroy your wealth... or generate even more.
Buying a house is more than just trading money for a deed. Between choosing your real estate agent and lender, picking the right neighborhood, and choosing the house itself, you're suddenly making more decisions than you ever thought possible. All this while trying to keep a level head for what may be the biggest purchase of your life!
Plus, no matter how desperately you want to escape the renter’s cycle, buying a house isn’t always a good investment. Your home can destroy your wealth and freedom or generate the same—and this book will show you how to make a decision that gives you the most financial flexibility possible.
Scott Trench and Mindy Jensen of the BiggerPockets Money Podcast have been buying and selling houses for a collective thirty years. In First-Time Home Buyer, they’ll give you a comprehensive overview of the home-buying process so you can consider all of your options and avoid pitfalls while jumping into the big, bad role of homeowner.
- Is buying a house a good investment, and what’s wrong with the way everyone else does it?
- How much house can you afford (with a free Rent vs. Buy spreadsheet available for download!)
- Everything you should know about the housing market and appreciation
- Steps you can take to turn your first home into a future cash-flowing investment
- How to choose a real estate agent and a lender that have your best interests in mind
- What to look for when buying a house, and what to absolutely avoid
- How to decide if fixer-upper houses and home renovation are right for you
- The nitty-gritty details of how to buy a house, like how to view properties with an eye for detail, submit offers, survive your home inspection, and everything else from contract to closing!
- Standard economy shipping is always FREE, but you can upgrade if you'd like to receive your book faster. Shipping rates vary depending on location.
- Purchases from the BiggerPockets Bookstore can only ship within the United States.
- We're confident in the quality of our books. If you're not satisfied with your purchase, you can return your book for a full refund within 30 days.
- For returns, refunds, or the status of your order, you can contact [email protected]
Customer Rating and Reviews
This was such a fun, easy, informative read and saved me from my emotional self! Mindy and Scott were super thorough in the steps from before you think about buying through the buying process. This is a must read for every first time homebuyer. I love the format because even though I’ve had family members go through the process, there were steps and considerations in the book that hadn’t been shared with me. Tips on doing market research helped me discover that an area I was looking at was underperforming to the rest of the market helping me make an educated decision to move on in the search. For anyone new to homebuying, I recommend this book as you can use it as a checklist for navigating an expensive and often complex process.
Really enjoyed this book, by Mindy & Scott, extremely concise and very educational with a step by step guide within each process. The content is highly applicable to first time home buyers or for anyone buying a resident that wants to be on the right pathway to financial freedom so they don't trap themselves. It’s not about just knowing how to buy a home but having plans in place for exit strategies to set you up for financial freedom.They went through the steps from A-Z with explanation and added their quirky jokes throughout for a mental break, which I enjoyed. 5/5 would recommend it!
For years, I’ve railed at military families to rent or live on base. They’re preyed on by realtors and lenders who delude them into spending their allowances on “building equity” or “earning passive income.”
Professional real estate investors know it’s more complicated than pre-approved zero-down VA loans and rolling in the closing costs.
Mindy & Scott teach military families the right way. It’s not just a home but a house that makes sense for their finances, even if they end up as long-distance landlords.
The first chapter explores whether to buy a house in the first place, and then immediately assesses the exit strategies. It includes the worst-case family who makes all the classic mistakes to end up trapped in a home they can’t enjoy-- for decades.
The rest of the chapters guide new buyers through everything. You’ll learn the marketing ploys and logical fallacies waiting to sucker you into paying more than you should for way more than you need.
I particularly appreciated the last chapter on “First Steps As A Homeowner”, “Your Stupid Questions, Answered”, and “Upkeep & Repair.” The authors even circle back to the family who made all the classic mistakes in the first chapter and show how to do it the right way.
I received a review copy of this book-- and now I’m buying copies for my daughter and son-in-law. Mindy & Scott probably knew I’d be that impressed.
And if you smirk at recognizing the names of newlyweds “Alex” and “Shelby”... this book is for you.